Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Sleep Cycles

Today I've been reading about sleep and how the average cycle is 90 minutes. You wake up your most refreshed when you wake up between sleep cycles, and waking up in the middle of a cycle can make you feel unrested and unrefreshed. This is interesting, because society tells us that we should sleep 8 hours a night -- which is not an interval of 90 minutes, explaining while many people (me) feel unrefreshed after that amount of sleep. By organizing your sleep this way, you can actually sleep much less and feel more refreshed.

Going through people's blogs and reading experiences with this sleep pattern has made me want to try it out. The trick is that you can't just sleep for 4.5 at night and then stay awake the other 19.5 hours. It's best to sleep for 3 hours at night and then take a 90 minute nap at some point during the day.

I'm not sure about only sleeping 4.5 to begin with, but I do want to try the 6 hours per day. Earlier today, I took a 3 hour nap so I guess I'm going to try to sleep for 3 hours tonight (haven't slept much the past 2 days) and see how I feel tomorrow. It might be difficult to adjust the first couple days, but we'll see. If it's messing up my schedule too much, I'll try it again over Winter Break.

Wish me luck. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment