In terms of our daily life, we are even told that we should not do things that give the appearance of prejudice, or infidelity, or other sorts of immoral behaviour. Note that not only shouldn't we do these things, but we shouldn't even give the appearance of doing them.Of course, it is referring to Baha'i teachings.
This definitely makes sense and I agree with it. But as I was thinking more about it, I tried to find places where it applied to my life and where I need to improve. I don't think I give the appearance of prejudice or infidelity or any other immoral behaviors such as theft; I certainly hope I don't. But as I was thinking about this, I was wondering about music and alcohol. Obviously, I don't drink. This isn't just a Baha'i thing for me; I've never really had any interest in it and I don't see any benefits to drinking. But what I do like is this smoothie-type drink I make. It's not a smoothie really since it's only Sprite Zero, frozen strawberries, and Splenda to sweeten it. It's more like a daiquiri...but it's not because it doesn't invovle alcohol. I also like ordering (virgin) daiquiris occasionally when I go to restaurants. So, though I am not actually drinking, is me doing this the appearance of this and therefore wrong?
I asked my mom what she thought and she said that as long as I didn't act like I was drinking, it was probably fine. I think she's right but it still made me think. Where do you draw the line? Or, does anyone reading this have a different opinion?
Something Jay and I were talking about that sort of relates to this is music. I've noticed for years now that the music I listen to doesn't always line up with my morals. Ke$ha isn't exactly the greatest role model. But, listening to her music doesn't make me start drinking and sleeping around and whatever else she says. To me, it's an escape and it's catchy and I just enjoy listening to it. Enrique Iglesias singing about a "dirty, dirty dancer" doesn't make me want to be one; Ke$ha's experiences "brushing [her] teeth with a bottle of Jack" in absolutely no way make me want to take part. And don't even get me started on Britney Spears' latest album. It's fantastic; I'm not referring to musical quality here, but it's very catchy and gets stuck in my head constantly.
Last night, as I was reading the Aqdas, I got to this:
We have made it lawful for you to listen to music and singing. Take heed, however, lest listening thereto should cause you to overstep the bounds of propriety and dignity. Let your joy be the joy born of My Most Great Name, a Name that bringeth rapture to the heart, and filleth with ecstasy the minds of all who have drawn nigh unto God. We, verily, have made music as a ladder for your souls, a means whereby they may be lifted up unto the realm on high; make it not, therefore, as wings to self and passion. Truly, We are loath to see you numbered with the foolish.
I think it would be fairly to argue that a lot of lyrics in pop music "overstep the bounds of propriety and dignity." Even though I listen to a lot of lyrics that I would not say to my parents, I am more conservative than a lot of people my age. I don't listen to rap music less because I dislike it and more because I don't like the way it objectifies women. Yes, Britney Spears in some ways treats herself the same way, but I would argue that she is doing it in a way that empowers her and for fun. She is clearly still a strong person and is enjoying herself; in many songs, she is the one seducing the man and not the other way around. In fact, that situation is probably most common on this cd: hence it's name Femme Fatale.
Either way, it's not exaclty "dignified."
So where do I draw the line? At what point do the lyrics start influencing me and my behavior? I don't think they are, but I guess they could be without me noticing it. Like I said, I am clearly not following the examples set forth in the songs, but am I becoming immune to the behavior? Maybe; I don't know.
No comments:
Post a Comment