I have a very romantic idea of reading in my head. I want desperately to be someone who is well-read and I buy books a lot. However, when I start reading, I have a really hard time getting into a book. I'll often start something and think, "This is really good!" but never pick it up again. And that is very frustrating to me.
Lately I've been reading a lot, but (other than The Kite Runner) I've been reading all non-fiction books. Of course, there's nothing wrong with that, but I think it's also very important to read novels. Maybe I just haven't found a genre that's right for me yet. I always want to read the classic books and I don't really know at all how to go about navigating more recent books because they don't have a reputation yet, for the most part.
I read all of Dan Brown's books except The DaVinci Code (I'm afraid of it not living up to the hype.) a few years ago and I LOVED those, especially Angels and Demons. Then the movie ruined that book, unfortunately. But other than that, I'm not really sure where to start.
I know that I like novels that are written sort of in the style of memoirs, such as The Kite Runner. But at the same time, I want to be well-read in a variety of genres, especially classics, but others as well. I suppose I will try to alternate between classic and more modren books and ask people I know for suggestions.
No comments:
Post a Comment