Today, the message was called "The Separation of Church and Hate." I'm sure there's a lot that I'm going to forget to say, but I will do my best. Essentially, the point (that I took away from it) is that Christians often do a lot to make Christians look bad and therefore keep people from the true message of their faith. Andy said it best when he said, "It's always easier to make a point than make a difference." Christians (and people in general - I am not trying to say anything bad about Christianity) are too eager to point at others and tell them that they are doing wrong rather than setting an example.
My favorite part of the message came from Matthew 5:14-16:
14 “You are the light of the world. A town built on a hill cannot be hidden. 15 Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house. 16 In the same way, let your light shine before others, that they may see your good deeds and glorify your Father in heaven.
This is a passage from the Bible, but I think it is clearly applicable to not just Christianity, but also the Baha'i Faith and really any ideology in general. People aren't eager to listen when you want to tell them that they're wrong, but if you show them the light (whatever that light may be to you) they will flock to it.
I have more to say about this, but I ran out of time and have to go cover the local fireworks for my internship. Hopefully I won't get home too late and I'll write the second half tonight. If not, then tomorrow.
No comments:
Post a Comment