Today was, once again, pretty uneventful. I guess that should be a good thing with all the drama are having due to papers and projects being due soon. Either way, it was a good day. First of all, my 8AM class started 30 minutes late (and it will Wednesday too!) which was very nice. Last night when I remembered, I got very excited. At the beginning of class, my teacher did the typical "I know you guys are all dreading this class coming to an end." People did the appropriate laughter as she told us to take a business card at the end of class and contact her if we ever need anything.
...I am legitimately upset about the class being over. I love it so much and I love my teacher so, so much. I frequently rave about her to my friends. I went up to her at the end of class to get her card and I said, "I want you to know that I really did get upset last night about this class being over." She replied with, "That's the thing though. I'm not going anywhere."
I could have cried. I love her. She is wonderful. I have been so extraordinarily lucky here at Emerson to meet so many amazing people. Students and professors both. For example, maybe I should be threatened or jealous of the accomplishments of some of my peers. But for the most part, I respect them so much that I'm just happy for them. This is especially true of people who work on the paper with me. Especially, especially, especially our (new) EIC. I have learned so much from him and he has been nothing but helpful to me. I literally cried when I got my edits back the first time I wrote an article, but I went up to him next time I saw him and told him that I wanted to improve and he has been nothing but helpful and kind any time I have a question. He's only an example of how fortunate I have been with the people I have met here.
Speaking of the newspaper, the positions for next year were announced tonight. I didn't get the assistant editor position I applied for and I'd be lying if I said I weren't a tiny bit upset. But it really is only a tiny bit. I did get the position of SGA Correspondent (SGA is our Student Government Association) and I am honestly perfectly happy with that. So yay. I sincerely look forward to covering SGA meetings next year and writing zillions of articles about them. My tone is sarcastic but the meaning is true. I have started to take time (as I should) to appreciate every experience and opportunity I am given. I really do believe that everything happens for a reason and that you should learn from every situation. I have changed so much this year and for that, I could not be more happy.
Another good thing that happened today is that I emailed the professor I met last week who is from Sudan. (This is the one I actually got to speak to and not the one who I didn't end up meeting. Sort of confusing when I write it out.) He had told me to email him so we could talk further, so I did today. He emailed me back promptly and said he was free Wednesday 2-4, so I am going to meet with him then. I am very excited! He sent a very nice email and in the spirit of self-promotion (heh), I am going to copy it here:
"Hey Caitlin
I am impressed with your leadership. I think you will be a great professional. I would love to continue our discussion. I am here Wed 2-4 or just let me know when is a good time and I'll make it. See you soon.
Mohamed"
Short, but very nice. My friends make fun of me for being so confident in myself, (Which I totally deserve by the way. They keep me grounded.) but when I get compliments like this from people I really respect I am always deeply humbled. Like I said, I am very excited to meet with him on Wednesday.
Wednesday is also my LAST DAY OF CLASS as a FRESHMAN. It is so very weird to me and I am probably going to break down in tears on Wednesday. And especially next Thursday after my last exam is over. I cannot say enough how lucky and blessed I have been this year and I am sad to see this year go. I know the next one will likely bring even more wonderful experiences, but I have grown so much this year that it is weird to see it be over.
I guess after writing it all out, it wasn't such an uneventful day. It was, in fact, a very good day that was also very productive. So for that, I am (once again) very thankful.
Oh. One sort of bad thing. I got my grade back for my psychology paper today. I thought I'd done pretty well...I got a 77. :( Not a huge setback. Now I just have to study extra hard on the exam. If I defy logic and make a 95, I will still get an A- in the class. That would be the most wonderful thing ever and I will work SO hard to try and make it work. I've already started on the study guide, so with work and luck maybe -- just maybe!-- it will work.
Goodnight!
No comments:
Post a Comment