Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Possibly the Best Day Ever

Today, today, today. Today was so incredibly wonderful in more ways than I could have ever imagined or asked for.

First, I had my last Argument and Advocacy class. We finished up our debates (I did mine today) and it was interesting and fun. Then, again, my professor joked about everyone being terribly upset about class being over. She said, "I know, I know. You're all going to need a 12-step program to get over missing me."

Again. Not a joke. I cannot explain in words how much I have appreciated having her as a professor and being able to know her. I went up to her afterwards and thanked her for class and we hugged. I told her I was going to cry. (I didn't. I did, however, tear up a little after leaving the room.) I could tell she really appreciated me saying that and she said to keep in touch. Don't worry, I said, telling her I was going to add her on Facebook (I did.) and come to her class regularly next semester. She really is wonderful and when I did my course evaluations today, I wrote a lengthy paragraph praising her.

Then I had my last psychology class, which was okay. I'm not too worried about the exam because I've been preparing pretty well. I say that even though I didn't work on my study guide today. I have all day tomorrow though, so I will make sure to catch up. This grade is important to me.

Today also, I met with the Sudanese professor who I was introduced to the other day. This will probably be a long explanation, so bear with me. Especially because I don't feel like writing words right now, but I will do it anyway. So, here's what happened:

I went to meet the professor at 2, but he wasn't where I thought he would be, so I walked around the Communication Studies department and I ended up passing my Conflict and Negotiation (from now on, c&n) professor's class. He called out, "Caitlin, are you looking for me?" I wasn't, but Professor Khalil (the Sudanese professor) was in there, so that was great. Then the two of them talked for a couple minutes about me and how they both really like me. Professor Hollingworth (c&n) talked about how great my analysis paper of the Egyptian Revolution was. He said essentially (actually these are both quotations and I just put them together), "Yours was one of the best. I hold A's sacred." So that was really nice and Hollingworth talked about how thorough my paper was. Like I've said before, I have pretty great self confidence, but hearing people I really respect and admire complimenting me is intensely humbling.

After they finished their conversation, Professor Khalil and I talked for about an hour or so. It was wonderful and he said many nice things to me. I could tell he was impressed by me and at one point, he said, "Tell your mom I said she should go to Egypt with you, and tell her I'm very proud of you." Actually he said this a couple times and it was very...I don't know. I don't have a word. I keep using the word wonderful, but it was wonderful. Then Prof Hollingworth came over near the end of our conversation and said something like, "She's great, isn't she?" and once again they kept complimenting me and Hollingworth said he was lucky to have me in his class and Khalil agreed. He also asked me (earlier in the conversation) to be in one of his classes next semester if he comes back. (He might stay in Sudan for a little while.) Anyway, it was wonderful wonderful wonderful.

When I left Prof Khalil I saw the grad student! This was wonderful because he is such an amazing person and I truly am lucky to have met him. The professor he wanted to introduce me to was there, so he briefly introduced us although the professor had to go to a meeting. The student had said, "I have someone I want to introduce you to. She shares your passion for the Middle East." Or something very close to that. Anyway, the professor said that I look Egyptian! EVERYONE AGREES! I like this quite a bit. Also he said he didn't have time to talk now (because of the meeting) but said something about a dinner tomorrow and that the student should bring me. It's at this restaurant here and I don't know who is coming other than the student and the professor, but I am very pleased and honored that he invited me. The student said he would text me and let me know when it is. Like I said, so very excited!

Well, that wasn't as long as I expected but I also cut out a lot of conversation that I included when I recapped to my mom and Clair.

Further excitement: Friday afternoon I am meeting up with Norah again! I don't think I've written about Norah before, but she is a Baha'i here in Boston. I've been interested in the Baha'i Faith for the past year and a half or so, but I've been pursuing it the past couple months. I met up with her a month or so ago and we're meeting up again on Friday. I'll write about it more tomorrow or Friday in more detail.

For now, I am going to bed. I have had a truly amazing day. Tomorrow, though, I must make up for it by doing a lot of studying! It will be worth it though and I hope dinner will be fantastic.

No comments:

Post a Comment